Dr. Richard Pope received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Microbiology from the University of California at Santa Barbara in 1989, and graduated medical school from the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda Maryland in 1993. He completed his internship and residency in orthopedic surgery at Eisenhower Army Medical Center in 2001, and also completed a Fellowship in Hand Surgery at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC in 2006. After having served over 27 years in the military both in the enlisted and officer ranks, he retired in 2013 as Chief of the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation at Eisenhower Army Medical Center, Fort Gordon, Georgia. While in the Army, Colonel (ret.) Pope had many challenging assignments some of which include battalion surgeon with the Ranger Regiment, Forward Surgical Team Commander, and Deputy Commander for Clinical Services of Spanish Military Hospital at Camp Arena, Afghanistan. Caring for our injured troops either while deployed in the war zones of Iraq and Afghanistan or stateside has provided Dr. Pope with in-depth experience taking care of complex orthopedic injuries. Dr. Pope taught orthopedic surgery residents for seven years at Fort Gordon, Georgia, and is an associate professor of surgery for the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.
His practice encompasses general orthopedics, and upper extremity/hand surgery. Dr. Pope is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons in orthopedics and hand surgery, and is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Society for Surgery of the hand, the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Georgia Orthopaedic Society. Dr. Pope will see clinic patients at the Augusta and Waynesboro offices.
Dr. and Mrs. Pope have been married since 1987 and have three children.
- Undergraduate Degree: University of California, Santa Barbara, California
- Medical Degree: Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland
- Internship & Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Dwight David Eisenhower Army Medical Center, Fort Gordon, Georgia
- Hand Medicine Fellowship: Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC
- Chief of the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation at DDEAMC
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Associate Professor of Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Society of Military Orthopedic Surgeons
- Georgia Orthopedic Society